WuZhou KingDa Mesh

Infant and adult injured in barbecue grill explosion

Datetime:2012-05-04 Hits:

An infant and an adult were injured Friday when a barbecue grill exploded at an east Las Vegas Valley home, according to Clark County officials.

Firefighters and paramedics arrived around 4 p.m. to the residence at 2159 Enfield Circle, near Hollywood and Lake Mead boulevards, officials said.

The adult had turned on the propane grill and went inside the home, officials said.

When the person returned carrying the infant, the grill was lit, causing an explosion from gas that had built up, officials said.

The two victims were transported to University Medical Center, officials said.

Fire officials say grilling accidents happen every year and offer the following tips:

1. Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and branches.  
2. Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas and foot traffic.  
3. Keep children and pets away from the grill area: declare a three-foot "safe zone" around the grill.  
4. Use long-handled grilling tools to have plenty of clearance from heat and flames.  
5. Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.